Monday, January 31, 2011

System Update and a Neat Idea

Combat was changed to Aggression, although I may still use CDSM as the working title. Not sure yet. This was to facilitate ideas of general application rather than pigeonholing players into physical combat.

Idea - Spell Weaving

Mage characters have always fascinated me, I've wanted to do something cool with this for a long time. I'm thinking something that keeps the system identity in mind.

I also played Magicka recently, so my mind is buzzing with possibilities. I don't necessarily want to stick with elements tho, so lets take a few simple ideas and start tinkering with them.

Lets say that spells have certain characteristics. We'll start with 'Rope', a simple skill that allows the player to make, manipulate and utilize rope with a wave of the finger. Lets mix this with 'Wall', an ability to build or take down a wall in front of you. You now have a wall that you can move and manipulate. Add 'Projectile' and you can start trapping people in little boxes. This is how magic becomes dangerous.

Say we have a 'dimention door' mixed with 'projectile', you can send someone to another plane in a bolt. Say you also have a 'bag of holding', you can imprison people beyond time and space at your leisure.

This isn't finished and its certainly not usable. I like the idea of mixing things tho, it seems very magelike.

No comments:

Post a Comment